Friday, September 09, 2005

 

Chapter 1 comments

Chapter 1 was an intriduction to the topic. More of a definition than anything else. It may not be the easiest subject to comment about, but it gives a sense of the roots to HR issues that come through the channel. Performance reviews, goal setting, ethics and harrasment training. I find it kind of interesting how many of these topics are practiced by companies since they have been burned by them in the past. Either through a lawsuit or being outperformed by a competitor. Also it is interesting how some of the skills or techniques taught through OB are practiced. I am in a unique situation where I can watch how 4 companies operate daily. My employer, who is a software and service provider, two of the largest aerospace firms and a small services company that is managin our project. The aerospace companies are very large and bureacratic, point systems and square footage of an office or cubicle has a very distinct presence in this environment. My company is a large company for its niche and somewhat resembles the aerospace companies, except it is a lot younger. The project management company is very successful, but small and shows lots of potential. I see the impact of organizational behavior as strong in my first career choice with the software company and weaker as I compare each of the following choices, primarily because each of the other choices has fewer people involved, groups become less diverse. Also, as poliically incorrect as it sounds, I am not a strong believer of diversity training. I believe in equal rights and I am against racial, sexual and religious discrimination. But fostering an awareness in differences only seems to validate divides in the workplace. We are asked frequently today to team, to act as one, to be a good corporate citizen. But the book makes it appear like we come to work to express our family values, sexual preferences, and cultural differences. I don't think that is was I get paid for, I get paid to provide a superior product or service, not to spout my spiritual beliefs into my product. It could be possible to use diversity training to recognize the diversity of my customer, but I have problems trying to right the wrongs of the past by swinging the pendulum against prior generations of oppressors.
That was about my only hard point with that chapter, other areas like improving customer service has always been a personal mission. I have worked 38 hours straight at a customer's site to meet an objective on time and on budget. I am glad to see books like this, and Steven Covey's recognize this type of behavior.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?