Saturday, September 10, 2005

 

Packet Chapter 3 Notes

Individual and Organizational Learning

I had to crack open the packet we waited so long for today, it was a disappointment. The only clear page was the one not to copy the document (Unlike what the school did). Page numbers are missing, the assignments do not correspond the syllabus, and the quality of the print was so poor, the assignments were not clear. I made fun of my Eastern Economy Edition version of the class text for it's quality, and I take it back now. It is far superior to this package.

But I trudged forward anyway. This chapter has brought me back to all my ideas on how to improve learning in Internet Virtual Organizations. I used my experiences from my consulting company experience where everyone is pulled from the field for a week and put through a training program that is not necessarily relevant or timely for them. Great expense is taken to get all these people in a central location and the depth of the training is usually pretty shallow. I think that this sort of training could be greatly improved if it was only done online, broken up into roles, functions and processes and could be used just in time for engagements or phases of a project where they are practical. Getting the groups together is still a good idea, but it can be done over a shorter time period. Use that time for communicating the state and vision of the company and allow people to celebrate their successes and network with their employee contemporaries. The online training should be done through the year keeping the first Friday of the month for every month except January and August to learn new applications or dive deeper into existing ones. This keeps the training fresh, constant and more relevant.

Depending if I did the Learning Style inventory assessment correctly (The print quality was so bad, I was unsure if I was supposed to add up all the columns because the shading was gone), but it appeared I was Active Experimentation focused and a converger. I think I pretty much agree with the assessment. I was semi-centric in the converger quadrant, so I think it showed my leaning accurately. Many of the other exercises required group activity, so I did not perform them except answer individual questions.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?