Sunday, November 20, 2005

 

Balancing work and personal life

Balancing work and personal life has been pretty challenging lately. Depending on how how you throw school into the mix, it could be seen as additional work or personal time. I have been tryint to treat it as a separate entitity or as a third aspect of my life. I think it helps me both personally and career wise and is sort of the diametrically opposed aspect of a nicomacean ethic as I could have. I try to distribute my time across all three, I just dont think I can get a quality job across all three as I should. It seems like I need more hours in the day, or as I should probalby think about it, put it more into perspective of the Steven Covey principles, concetrate on the imp0rtantr, non-urgent stuff I think once my financial situation changes, I would like to get a housekeeper to get the house in a little better condition. I also want to start getting the house fixed up some. This term was pretty tough with both of us going to school 4 nights a week. Next term should be easier in that Sylvia nad I are only taking one class and I hope to alternate bewtween one and two classes a term. although I will probably be working my butt off at my current employer come next term, but we'll see. I should probably set monthly goals, weekly seem too small and annual goals just dont seem to be taken care of. But I should make sure I am maintaining some structure. Another thing I need to lookout for is changes to the routine, it seems like I can maintain some structure if it is regular, but through in something like a family emergency, change to weekend or work schedule, and I have a difficult time adjusting. I need to remember to find a solution for that. I am also trying to get a copy of Tony Robbins personal power II. A few friends have recommended it as one of his strongest series, so I am trying to snipe it on eBay and have something to follow up on over the christmas break.

Also I think its a little bizarre trying to find work life balance during this point in our lives. Since we are going to school, it is a time of sacrifics to our personal lives, we just need to try to minimize the impact. But I cant see with the schedule we had that we could truly take thanksgiving off or pursue general hobbies. I just try to give my daughter some time each day and show my wife that I lve her and try to keep things going.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?