Sunday, November 20, 2005

 

Mahoney for Governor

This was interesting for our Power and Politics section, my former neighbor in Tujunga, Eric Mahoney, has declared his candidacy for Governor in 2006. He and his wife are really great people and I have really enjoyed reading his position on what he would do as Governor. Although he has a tough fight in front of him, I would give him my vote. An interesting thing about politics is how it creates affiliations and groups. Many people have the desire to vote for the winning team and not with their hearts or minds. They tend to pick the candidate that is part of their group, their affiliation, their party. They use indirect matters of trust for their affiliation. I really appreciate Eric's drive and conviction and have been watching his blog about his run for Governor. www.MahoneyForCalifornia.com.

I have also been a big fan of Theodore Roosevelt since finding a family link between him and myself. My great great great (give or take a great) uncle, Frank Frantz, was a captain in the Rough Riders on Theodore's charge on San Juan Hill/ I have read both Edmund Morris books and can hardly wait for the "Rise of Theodore Rooosevelt" movie to come out directed by Martin Scorcese and starring Leonardo Di Capprio in a few years. (I had envisioned this pair doing this movine a few months before it was announced (SPOOKY!)). I have always appreciatted his independence and passion and I keep this quote over my desk at work:

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”
Theodore Roosevel“Citizenship in a Republic,”Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Anyway, I left my encouragement and quote on his blog site and got a wonderful note from Eric tonight:

That is a fantastic lift to my spirit and the quote from Roosevelt will be a part of this campaign from here on out. Thanks for the support.

It was a great lift for me as well.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?